Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Molly and Thady's Children: Ellen Manning Nielsen b 26.8.1900 Kilrush County Clare

According to her great grand-daughter, Ellie Manning on the right of this picture left Kilrush for the U.S. in about 1918.  She was married to Anton Nielsen in St. Mary Magdalen Church in Omaha Nebraska in-------

St. Mary Magdalen Church 109 South 19th Street in Omaha Nebraska


and may have went to the U.S. in 1919 from a ship's record below found by a relative.  Mary Ann her older sister of 2 years pictured on the left above was living at the time in the U.S.  Mary later returned to Ireland and died of T.B. in Kilrush in 1933 aged 33.  Ellie lived in Omaha Nebraska for ----- years until her death in ------.

From one ship's manifest in 1919 :

Ship: The Baltic
Departure Port: Liverpool
Arrived in New York Dec. 19, 1919
Age: 19
5'6" brown hair blue eyes
Complexion: fair
Place of Birth: Kilrush Ireland

Pictured below is Anton Nielsen and Ellie Manning, married in the U.S. and who had four children - Helen, Mary Ann, Michael and Robert.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Today 18th of January was a lovely day in Kilrush and myself and my mother, Cathy Manning Hally, daughter of Jimo spent a few hours searching through parish records and taking photographs of graves. 
   Old Shanakyle* is in a beautiful location about one mile outside Kilrush on the north bank of the Shannon Estuary overlooking the islands of Hog and Scattery.  The graveyard was neglected in the past and became overgrown with virulent weeds, hedging, rhododendrons and all sorts!  At time of writing, this graveyard is being tended to by some local lads and it looks very well.

(*'Shanakyle probably originates from the Gaelic "sean cill", meaning "old church". It is the site of a graveyard outside Kilrush, County Clare, where famine victims were buried during the 19th century. Thirty-nine hundred people died in the Kilrush workhouse in the years 1847-1849'.  Link to this info  - I believe the population of Kilrush was around 8000 people before the Famine so if these anecdotes are true then the Kilrush was halved in size in a very short time - most of it from deaths.  Some people here believe the whole town in haunted and little wonder they do ... )

2 comments:

  1. Hello Manning Family,

    Finding your website has thrilled me beyond words. My father's name, Joseph Manning,, is the last listed on your 1901 census copy. My grandfather was James and my great grandmother was Winefred. I was the only child of Joseph and Ann, and am enjoying my "Golden Years".
    I crave information regarding the history of my father's family as so little was ever shared and there were no relatives to pass this on. I do know that he lived on Harcourt Street and came to the United States around 1912.
    Before I share my life history, (I'm so excited!) let me be sure that someone is reading this. My email address is addiebe @gmail.com and I will watch this website as well.

    Sincerely,
    Adeline Manning Evans
    21 Newbury Row
    Manchester, New Jersey 08759

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adeline

      sorry for very late response but have contacted you via the email address above. Very exciting to hear from you and hope we can get in touch. There are a few of us interested in building the family jigsaw puzzle - it's a great detective story.

      Hoping to hear from you soon

      James

      Delete